Filed under: Random
As you guys know, writing clearlyfabulous is something I have done and enjoyed for about 2.5 years now. I found myself in quite a funk beginning a couple of months back. One of the many things I stopped focusing on during this time was writing clearlyfabulous.
I tried everything I could to get back in the swing of things, but I am still struggling a bit. I lost my way as it relates to food, exercise, shopping, cocktails. I tried every way possible to medicate myself against the depression and anxiety I found myself swirling in. I have decided to take a more proactive approach going forward:
- Re-focus on diet and exercise – not only have I gained about 10 pounds over my comfortable fluctuation range but I have been recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. This means I am going to be taking some very aggressive measures in the way of diet and exercise. I now take 4 prescription meds each morning and it’s a bit too much for me to handle. Yes, I am taking my meds, but I do NOT like it. So I am going to do whatever it takes to get off of them. I am beginning the Mediterranean Diet, which will be tricky for me due to my natural beef-loving Nebraskan self. But I brainstormed ideas yesterday. I will exercise 4-6 times per week, with an increased focus on resistance training.
- Stay out of debt – By not writing, you guys missed out on a major milestone back in March. I paid off all of my credit card debt. Finally. Now I need to stay out of debt. I am trying to figure out which cards to cancel without hurting my credit score. I am also trying to maximize reward points while only spending cash on essential items.
- Focus on investing and saving – Now that I have learned to live on less and shop way less, I want to refocus my efforts on stocking my emergency fund and investing more in my 401K and IRA. I also want to open a Roth IRA too.
- Continue my focus on finding pleasure in ways other than acquiring things – This does not mean I will never shop, but it means my joy will not come from shopping and I will continue to focus on keeping my wardrobe and home decor lean.
- Begin therapy to get to the bottom of the anxiety and depression – I have a sneaking suspicion that my recent health woes are connected to these issues as well. I need to deal with some unresolved issues, move on, forgive. I was at a conference earlier this month. The keynote speaker presented this one slide that read: “The happiest people are those who give. The happiest people are those who forgive. The least happy people are those who hold grudges.” I was so inspired by this – I need to learn to forgive and deal with issues, rather than placing my skeletons in the closet. I suspect I am beginning to run out of room. I need to actively deal with my father’s death last year. I have to free myself from all the things that are holding me back from happiness.
I also owe you guys a giant blog post featuring all the things I’ve bought in the last two or so months. And a post on the wonderful gifts I’ve gotten for my upcoming birthday (one and a half weeks). I will also start re-focusing on my regular Wednesday and Friday posts along with featuring some “What I’m Rocking” posts too. I may also share any particularly delish plant-based meals I create.
Thanks for sticking with me. I can’t wait to be back to my old self.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment